Previous Tours - DELAWARE BAY OF NEW JERSEY
Top 10 lists are voted upon by the participants at the completion of each tour.
DELAWARE-NEW JERSEY CUSTOM TOUR:
24-26 May 2004
Tied for first place:
1) AMERICAN OYSTERCATCHER--great scope views at Reed's Beach, NJ.
1) RED KNOT--hundreds of this handsome shorebird feeding at Slaughter Beach, DE.
3) Red-necked Phalarope--adult female feeding with Semipalmated Sandpipers at Port Mahon, DE.
4) Ruddy Turnstone--massive flocks at many locations.
5) Marsh Wren--singing while doing a split at the top of two weed stalks.
6) Black-necked Stilt--many nice views of this LONG-legged wader.
7) Prairie Warbler--singing male at Cape henlopen, DE.
8) Laughing Gull--mass frenzied feeding upon Horseshoe Crab eggs at Reed's Beach.
9) Black Scoter--adult drake at Slaughter Beach.
10) Semipalmated Sandpiper--more mass flock as a result of the Horseshoe Crab eggs.
The biggest non-avian highlight was of course the spawning Horseshoe Crabs on the Delaware Bayshore. We also saw numerous Northern Diamondback Terrapins (turtles) and several Atlantic Bottlenose Dolphins.